Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Winter And The Holidays Are Upon Us

Well the ground is now covered with snow and it freezing outside. Cars are sprayed with salt or whatever they're putting on the roads these days, and slush builds up around our tires.

The car washes are busier than ever and for a while now there's more than one car wash in Concord! For too long (since the one next to KFC on Hall Street closed) you had two choices, the car wash on Loudon Road, or drive to Thirty Pines in Penacook. Now the addition of two on Manchester Street makes it much easier, and for me just seeing them more often gives me a needed reminder to stop and wash the salty winter sludge off.

Unfortunately for some here at the Endicott, winter apparently means leaving your trash somewhere other than in the dumpster. I've been seeing bags of trash left down by the entrance to the Green Martini, on the first floor by the elevator, and this morning two bags down on the corner by the sitting area (unfortunately the city didn't clear that walkway). That's only a few steps away from the dumpster!

I'm hoping that it's one of the more elderly or infirmed residents that find it especially hard to get around in the winter, and not someone who's just lazy. I grabbed the bag I saw by the door last week and took it to the dumpster myself, but something needs to be posted or somehow communicated to the residents by management. There is also a mattress and box spring that was left in the alleyway leaning up against the fence by the back door of the Green Martini.
And while I'm talking about the alleyway, Bob needs to make sure that when he parks his company truck in that alley he leaves room for people to get through with trash and whatnot. I was barely able to squeeze by with my trash the other day!

It needs to be made clear to all the residents that they can call MB Management if they have something large to dispose of or they find it difficult to get their trash to the dumpster. We have someone who is paid to keep the building clean, and the maintenance people should have trucks to remove large items that residents can't dispose of on their own.

I hope MB Management produces a distributes a new Resident Handbook soon as the old one from Hodges doesn't apply anymore (or does it?). I seem to recall that we were informed by CATCH that there would be a new one coming out with the change of management. So far there hasn't been any communication from MB since the initial letter with address and phone number.
Speaking of which, I tried calling the office of MB Management Monday and got a message that the number wasn't in service! A subsequent call to CATCH informed me that Marie Poole was on her way over there to find out what the problem was.
Thank goodness for Marie. She's so attentive to our needs and is so pleasant to deal with!

(Update: In speaking with Tiffany (who works for Kathy at MB) she said that the phone situation lasted for about three hours before it was resolved.)

And so is our new property manager Kathy at MB. So far she's been very receptive to some issues I've brought to her. Nothing has changed yet, but I'm trying to be patient. She told me that she was excited that the old Endicott Hotel was one of the properties they were hired to manage and that she hoped to get it looking better soon.

I plan to do whatever I can to [both] help that happen, and keep the fire lit (as it were). It's sad to see the condition of this historic old building, unkempt and dirty with peeling paint in the entryways, lights that haven't been replaced in years, with the old and I must say ugly paint on the upper facade and the beautiful bowed windows that overlook the street. This wonderful old building has been badly neglected for too long and it deserves better. Especially now that it has a brand new building next door and the city is focusing on development of the South Main Street area.

It's a bit discouraging to look out my third floor window across at the uninhabited floors of the new building, and especially when I walk by the empty space on the ground floor adjacent to the new theaters. I picture a busy coffee shop-bookstore or casual dining restaurant there, but I'm told that because of Gibson's Book Store across the plaza the former isn't likely. The lack of occupants to date concerns me, as I'm sure it does the owner and the city, but I'm hoping that the current situation will be but a distant memory as the downtown comes to life.
It will be a welcome change.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tom,

    I, sadly, am guilty of leaving my trash outside my apartment door and Bob actually taking it out. I didn't ask him to and I had planned on taking it out, but I guess he saw it and felt the need to remove it. I think it had been out there for maybe 3 hours.

    I try not to do that though.

    Regarding the mattress in the alleyway - that used to belong to Darrel and Malika Kravitz in Apartment 311. I only know that because I saw them move a new mattress into their apartment and move the old one out last week.

    MB Management was NOT prepared to manage the Endicott Building. They don't have proper items for the building (example: Baleste for the light in our bathrooms). I had to wait a week for them to fix my bathroom light. Both a danger to me and my dog.

    Marie Poole from CATCH is a huge help.

    I can't say the same for Kathy from MB Management. When I told her that it was unfair of MB to make me wait a week to have a light in my bathroom she basically told me, "Well maybe the Endicott Building is not a good fit for you." Meaning that if I didn't like it then I should move.

    Then there's the issue with the police here on a regular basis. In fact, they were here Tuesday night because I called them. Darrel and Malika got it into their heads that I called Child Protective Services on them and came pounding (literallY) on my door wanting answers.

    I tried to TALK to them and Malika became threatening.

    Is it possible for people in this building to just take a chill pill and think about someone other than themselves?

    Thus far, I have met 3 people that I can trust out of 40 residents. That's you, Audrey from upstairs and Tony (he lives across from you).

    Although, perhaps it is me.

    I do wish they'd fix this place up and start making restrictions on smoking, trash disposal and a few other things.

    Have you noticed, people are not smoking in the lobby and cigarette butts are getting tracked inside more frequently? It's gross.

    If CATCH/MB Management has things that we as residents can do (such as washing walls, painting etc.) I'd be totally up to helping.

    Please keep us here at the Endicott posted on what we can do to improve the building.

    Also, PLEASE keep me accountable if you feel I'm making this a less than desirable place to live.

    Sincerely,

    Molly

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed but need to be on-topic and civil.