Monday, December 17, 2007

Things Are Getting Worse

In and around the Endicott things have been going downhill in the past few months. Part of it is the season, since winter for pedestrians in Concord is notoriously bad. Another part of the problem is some of the residents here at the Endicott.

Today was a perfect example of the former. I had to go to the grocery store across the street. The trip there was pretty good. The sidewalk was relatively clear in front of and beside the Endicott, and the only area that wasn't cleared was the area with the benches down by the corner.
The other side of the street was where it turned bad. The snow banks completely cover the sidewalk so people parking there have to walk in the road after they park their cars, and what's worse, pedestrians crossing the street from the side of the shopping plaza have no way of getting to the signaling button for the lights because there's 4-5 feet of snow surrounding it. Because of that pedestrians are left to cross the street while traffic is going by!

That's the 'pedestrian' part of the trip. The 'resident' part started with the elevator, which still hasn't been serviced (the doors sometimes open violently, then close about 1/3 of the way), and the elevator certification certificate (and it's Plexiglas cover) was hanging from one screw. The screw I installed the last time it was like this was gone. That means someone took the time to unscrew the extra long screw I put in over a month ago. Who would do something like that? Maybe the same type that has covered the area with graffiti 'tags'? I don't know, but it's just another sign that this beautiful (or what could be) old hotel and it surroundings are uncared for and deteriorating.

There is a huge crack in the ceiling near the elevator on the third floor that I just noticed the other day reminding me that no one has ever returned to inspect the building after construction was complete (as they said they would). I have a big crack in the wall of my bedroom next to my window also that I've mentioned previously.
The residents are still being exposed to second-hand smoke ever since "Energy Improvements" installed new lights and bathroom fans....
[Interesting note]: According to a "Breathe New Hampshire" representative I spoke with, there are absolutely no state or federal laws protecting residents of apartment buildings from this health threat!
How can that be, with all the legislation that's been passed lately? So much for our representatives working to protect us.
So as of now, it's perfectly legal for tenants to be forced to breathe second hand smoke (and in my case it's so strong that I've been awakened twice because of it when I didn't keep my bathroom fan running) unless they keep their bathroom fans running 24/7 (something they're not designed to do, not to mention a huge waste of ENERGY), and isn't that a potential fire hazard?
"Energy Improvements" company? Indeed!
- Please note that before the bathroom fans were replaced there was no problem whatsoever.

The two bags of trash I wrote about previously were still sitting in the snow down by the corner (I put them in the dumpster), the box spring and mattress were still sitting down in the alley (as of Saturday), and now there's a piece of old furniture sitting down by the ground floor elevator door.

The long list [of mainly plumbing repairs] I submitted weeks ago hasn't been responded to in any way.
My upstairs neighbor continues to clomp around shaking me and my apartment to the point of things actually falling off the wall, and ignoring the numerous letters sent to him from management telling him to contact them to discuss the matter.
The phone number he gave them is out of service, and after MB management and I had agreed that I was going to update [her] as to his compliance (or 'non') I call and hear from the secretary that she's off on vacation for "a few weeks"? Huh?

I've been trying to give them time, but three months in and things are getting worse, not better.

There are two men hired to do the maintenance for all of CATCH's properties, does that sound like enough? I worked for Concord Royal Gardens in the maintenance department as an apartment inspector and we had three times that number of maintenance personnel for just the two complexes and they were barely able to keep up with it!
I feel sorry for the one who has to answer the night-time 'emergency' calls! It's totally unrealistic to expect two people to handle all that in any kind of timely and responsible manner.

How long does this go on before the obvious conclusions are drawn by CATCH?


My conclusions are:

Bob the guy responsible for cleaning the building continues to slack, but is still getting a free apartment and stipend.

MB Management is not committing enough resources to responsibly care for the buildings and tenants they contracted for.

Promises/commitments made by construction-related people aren't being kept.

Residents continue to defy rules and management with impunity.

The condition of the building continues to deteriorate

CATCH needs to rectify this situation quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed but need to be on-topic and civil.