Saturday, November 10, 2007

Do you wonder why voter turnout is so low?

I had the date set on my calendar. I also had it set as a reminder on my computer, in more than one place. But just to be sure I had the day right (my mind is a very confused place) I went to the Concord Monitor's web site. I thought for sure they would have some mention of it on the 'front page', probably somewhere right near the top of the page. After all it's a very important day is it not? It's one of the foundations of civilized society, electing local leaders who will debate and decide important matters that affect our communities and our lives. But I saw nothing there at the top of the page. I scrolled down and still nothing. "Has it been changed?", I said to myself. Who knows these days, but I thought no that's not likely, and I surely would have heard something if it had.

I don't get the paper version of the Monitor, it's one of the things I do without now that I live on a severely limited income. Besides, I have an internet connection and I get most of my news from there. Maybe there was something in the 'paper' version about getting out and voting but I saw nothing in the "Concord Monitor online".

Why is that? Did a major news story happen that day and there wasn't enough room?
Of course not. Getting out and voting should have been the lead story of the day.

Wasn't it deemed important enough, or did the Monitor figure that everyone already knew so it wasn't necessary? Maybe because they had already done multiple articles about the candidates running for the various offices there wasn't anything left to say until after the votes were counted. But it was important. It is important. On a national level it's as important as it's ever been. But locally it's important too, and it seems that so few take it seriously enough to change their normal routine or drive a few extra miles to the polling station.

Instead of writing articles after the fact about how low voter turnout is these days shouldn't we be re-emphasizing the importance of being involved and encouraging as many people as possible to get out and vote for the best person to represent their district, town, state, or whatever?
Shouldn't we strive to increase turnout and participation more and more each election cycle?
Shouldn't people be reminded how important voting is?

Yes, and yes, and local papers like the Concord Monitor (and that includes the online version) should lead that effort. There should have been a headline reading "Get out and vote!" in large bold letters for all to see with maps detailing the polling places for each neighborhood and summaries about the candidates. As busy as many people are these days some need the prodding and encouragement, and the reminder to exercise their right (and privilege) to vote.

Every time an article is written about voter apathy and low voter turnout, news organizations should ask themselves "did we do everything we could have to get citizens to the polls?".

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the issue of the cigarrette smoke in our apartments! It's wrong and possibly illegal!

    I do NOT smoke, never have and never will.

    When I first looked at this apartment and considered renting it, I had no idea that other people smoking in their apartment would then stink up my apartment.

    The day after I moved in, I woke up in the middle of the night coughing from the discusting smell of cigarette smoke. I too have had the experience of getting assaulted with the stentch and almost vomitting from it.

    It took me about 2 months to finally get Hodges Company to provide a "Reasonable Accomodation" to take care of this issue.

    I had to write them a letter stating my problem and what I felt should be done to fix it and why. Then it took them 2 weeks to tell me that I needed a doctor to sign a form stating that if the problem (cigarette smoke in my apartment) was not fixed then I could not remain a resident at Endicott.

    Then even when they got the form signed by the doctor, they still did not provide the air purifier.

    It finally took me calling CATCH and telling them the situation for Hodges to get off their bottoms and provide me with an air purifier.

    A month later, I realized that the apartment would still stink and I'd still cough with the cigarrette smell. I again called HOdges and ended up having to call CATCH to get Hodges to respond to me.

    Turns out, the Air Purifier they provided only covers a 10 foot by 12 foot room. So, they had to provide another Air Purifier.

    You'd think that they'd have checked this months ago and provide 2 Air Purifiers in the first place!

    The 2 Air Purifiers cost CATCH about $320. They are the property of CATCH and do not belong to me.

    Although I am greatful to have these Air Purifiers, I am aggravated that other non smoking residents have to suffer with their neighbors cigarrette smoke getting into their apartments.

    We also have the issue of the extremely inconsiderate residents who smoke in the hallways, laundry rooms and the elevator. This is AGAINST OUR LEASE! and yet, they still can't seem to control their smelly, discusting habit 2 minutes or less till they get outside.

    Too cold outside - too bad. It's your habit not ours.

    I don't make you suffer with the reprocussions of my bad habits, don't make me suffer from yours.

    Tom, I'm with you. CATCH and the new management company NEEDS to fix this problem and should have a LEGAL problem if they don't.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed but need to be on-topic and civil.